- Differentiate between the types of pain classifications.
- List the therapeutic effects of each of the drug classes: nonopioid analgesics, topical analgesics, and topical and local anesthetics.
- Determine the indications, contraindications, and precautions to follow for each of the drug classes discussed in this chapter.
- Educate the patient on dosing schedules.
- Describe the AT’s role in the clinical management of acute and chronic pain.
- Differentiate between endogenous and exogenous opioids.
- Discuss the various routes of administration of opioid medications.
- Summarize the classes of opioids.
- Recognize the signs of opioid misuse, abuse, and overdose.
- Administer emergency Narcan nasal spray in cases of known or suspected opioid overdose.
- Differentiate between the actions of steroidal and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications on the inflammatory process.
- Contrast the functions of COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitors.
- Compare the adverse and toxic effects of corticosteroids, aspirin, nonselective COX inhibitor NSAIDs, and the COX-2-selective drug.
- Describe anti-inflammatories commonly used in the athletic training setting.
- Describe the various types of antimicrobial medications.
- Describe the mechanism of action for antibiotic medications.
- List general considerations of antibiotic use and people at risk for bacterial infections.
- Recognize clinical manifestations of bacterial infections.
- Identify clinical scenarios in which use of antibacterial agents is inappropriate.
- Collaborate with prescribers and other health care providers on antibiotic misuse and stewardship.
BOC: 4.5 Continuing Education Units
NATA PDC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Program Faculty: Course content includes chapters 7-10 of the book “Clinical Pharmacology in Athletic Training” by Michelle Cleary, PhD, ATC, Michael Pavlovich, PharmD & Thomas E. Abdenour, DHSc, ATC, CES. Assessment created by Jeremy Eusea, DAT, CES.
The passing score for this course is 80%. The course is self-paced, home study format. All materials are available ONLINE immediately after purchase and is available for 6 months.
Cancellation/refund available up to 30 days after purchase. For further information visit our How Courses Work page.
This course is intended for Certified Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Strength & Conditioning Specialists, etc.
Sport Medics is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers.