- Appreciate the many benefits of sports massage for the athlete
- Understand the uses of many different massage strokes for different conditions of the athlete
- Understand the protocols, applications, and desired effects for pre-, post- and inter-event massage
- Understand the indications, as well as cautions, for different types of stretching
- Describe the indications for the use of positional release techniques
- Explain the diagnostic use of tender points
- Understand the concepts and basic applications of acupressure in sports massage
- Demonstrate the applications and indications for the use of fingers, hands, forearms, and elbows to achieve optimal effects
- Understand the concept of myofascial release techniques
- Define myofascial trigger points and their treatment
- Understand the role of inflammation and pain following sports injury
- Describe the initial treatment of acute injury to an athlete’s limb
- Describe the treatment of an athlete’s limb following the acute phase of injury
- Understand the role of sports massage in the healing and rehabilitation of sports injuries
- Define the different types of stroke applications in lymphatic drainage massage
- Understand self-massage applications
BOC: 4.75 Continuing Education Units
NATA PDC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Program Faculty: Course content includes chapters 1-15 of the text Integrated Sports Massage Therapy by Anders Jelvéus and Kristjan Oddsson. Assessment created by Rachel Livingstone MA, AT, and Susan Callagy MA, AT, PTA, CSCS.
The passing score for this course is 80%. The course is self-paced, home study format. All materials are available ONLINE immediately after purchase and is available for 6 months.
Cancellation/refund available up to 30 days after purchase. For further information visit our How Courses Work page.
This course is intended for Certified Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Strength & Conditioning Specialists, etc.
Sport Medics is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers.