- Understand the pathophysiology of steroid use on the body and recognize the signs, symptoms, adverse effects and complications of steroid abuses
- Understand the pathophysiology of human growth hormone, dehydroepiandrosterone and beta-hydroxy-betamethylbutyrate, and creatine
- Understand the mechanisms of action of miscellaneous sports supplements
- Understand how stimulant levels in the body affect athletic performance and drug testing
- Understand the pharmacokinetics of stimulants and the adverse effects and addictive effect of stimulants on the human system
- Understand the variety of products that can be stimulatory in nature
- Legal premise of herbal supplements and parameters of medically prescribed ergogenic aids
- Use of amino acids and proteins in an athlete’s diet
- Types of diet and nutritional changes that athletes might try to enhance their performance
- Social drug abuse patterns in high school and collegiate athletes
- The types of people that tend to abuse social drugs and some of the reasons why people use social drugs
- Reasons why teenage athletes might choose to abuse social drugs
- How to recognize the outward signs of drug abuse in athletes
- The classes of drugs that are banned by the NCAA and the International Olympic Committee
- How to respond to an athlete whom they suspect might be abusing drugs
- Where to get information regarding starting a drug testing program at an institution
- Future implications for high school athletes
BOC: 2.5 Continuing Education Units
NATA PDC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Program Faculty: Course content includes chapters 11-15 of the book “Pharmacology Application in Athletic Training” by Brent C. Mangus, EdD, ATC and Michael G. Miller, EdD, ATC, CSCS. Assessment created by Rachel Livingstone MA, AT, and Susan Callagy MA, AT, PTA, CSCS.
The passing score for this course is 80%. The course is self-paced, home study format. All materials are available ONLINE immediately after purchase and is available for 6 months.
Cancellation/refund available up to 30 days after purchase. For further information visit our How Courses Work page.
This course is intended for Certified Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Strength & Conditioning Specialists, etc.
Sport Medics is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers.