- Describe the core, the muscles that comprise it, and the functional anatomy of the core
- Describe the role of the core in activity
- Explain how to evaluate core muscles for weakness
- Understand the basic neurophysiology related to plyometric exercise
- Understand when it is appropriate to initiate plyometrics into a rehabilitation program and to know the proper progression of plyometric exercise
- Describe and implement upper-body and lower-body plyometric exercises
- Explain the basic physics and terminology of isokinetics
- Have basic knowledge of how concentric and eccentric muscle action is affected by isokinetic exercise and testing
- Understand the indications and contraindication of isokinetic exercise and testing
- Understand the physiology and the effects of oxidative training on heart rate, respiration, the muscular system and cardiovascular system
- Determine target heart rates in various individuals
- Understand different training programs and designing a training program for aerobic conditioning
- Describe how the physical properties of water can be utilized in the rehabilitation process
- Describe the advantages, indications, precautions, and contraindications of aquatic exercise
- Design an aquatic exercise program for the upper and lower extremities and spine incorporating range of motion and strengthening exercises
- Understand the components of proprioception and neuromuscular control
- Have an understanding of the sensorimotor system and the mechanoreceptors that play a role in motor control and proprioception
BOC: 4.75 Continuing Education Units
NATA PDC Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Program Faculty: Course content includes chapters eight through thirteen of the text “Therapeutic Exercise—From Theory to Practice” by Michael Higgins, PhD, ATC, PT, CSCS. Assessment created by Michael Higgins, PhD, ATC, PT, CSCS.
The passing score for this course is 80%. The course is self-paced, home study format. All materials are available ONLINE immediately after purchase and is available for 6 months.
Cancellation/refund available up to 30 days after purchase. For further information visit our How Courses Work page.
This course is intended for Certified Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Strength & Conditioning Specialists, etc.
Sport Medics is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education to Certified Athletic Trainers.